Opportunities for online education have been expanding over the last few years and with so much of our life transitioned to a virtual landscape, many courses and programs are low cost or free!
Whether you’re looking to get back to work after treatment, hoping to move up in your current job, or planning a career change, continuing to improve upon and/or develop new skills can be a great way to make yourself more competitive. Here are a few organizations that offer free or discounted online classes and courses (some can also be accessed through your mobile device):
- Alison (www.alison.com) – Alison offers free online courses on a wide variety of topics with certification and diploma options.
- Coursera (www.coursera.org) – A platform through which anyone can take free, online classes from 120-plus top universities including Stanford, Yale, Princeton and many others. No cost offerings are listed here: www.coursera.org/courses?query=free.
- CreativeLive (www.creativelive.com) – Free, live online classes led by inspiring instructors include photography, design, business, music, software training, and more!
- Udemy (www.udemy.org) – While their courses (which cover a range of subjects) are typically around $100 dollars, frequent sales discount those same classes to $9 - $12.
- EdX (www.edx.org) – A collaborative project of Harvard University and MIT, EdX provides free online classes from the world’s best universities and other institutions.
- Google Digital Garage (https://learndigital.withgoogle.com/digitalgarage/) —Free, self-paced career and business classes (sign up for one or a series) and certificate programs.
- Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.org) — A digital library with 70,000+ free e-books in multiple languages available to read online or download.
- Skillshare (www.skillshare.com) —Offers thousands of free and paid online courses where you can discover new skills, techniques, and tools for a wide range of creative topics, from photography and graphic design, to drawing and animation.
- University of the People (www.uopeople.edu) — This is a nonprofit, tuition-free online university based in California and committed to educational access and inclusion.
After brushing up on your skills or learning something new, join us on Wednesday, December 6th, for our Balancing Working & Cancer Webinar: Marketing Yourself: Job Search & Beyond. Ariane Hunter, Author, Speaker, Coach & Founder of My Mentors Circle, will explore strategies to selling yourself when applying for jobs, including how to highlight your skills and experience.