In 2001, the Board of Governors of Cosmetic Executive Women, Inc., came across a startling realization: Five out of 40 of its board members had been diagnosed with cancer. Some of them told their colleagues at work, others did not. But all continued to work during or following treatment and were faced with similar dilemmas, such as:
- How do I tell my boss?
- What will my coworkers think?
- How do I balance work and treatment?
- What can I expect from my employer?
- What are my legal rights?
- What do other people in this situation do?
The truth is, work doesn’t stop once you’ve been diagnosed with cancer. And once diagnosed, work can become even more important.
Realizing that there was no single entity to turn to for guidance on these issues, the CEW Foundation — the charitable arm of Cosmetic Executive Women — decided to create a program to provide cancer patients and survivors with the information, tools and services they needed to navigate work after a cancer diagnosis. The result: Cancer and Careers.
For the past 20 years, we have been educating and empowering individuals, healthcare professionals and organizations to better navigate the intersection of employment and cancer.2001
- CAC founded, with one staff member
- English website, www.cancerandcareers.org, launched
- 1st edition of the English version of Living & Working with Cancer Workbook published
- 1st edition of the Spanish version of Living & Working with Cancer Workbook published
- CAC conducts its first survey in conjunction with the Harris Poll
- Managing Through Cancer Workbook published, in English
- Spanish website, www.cancerandcareers.org/es, launched
- Most Important Resources Brochure, published, in English
- First dedicated Board of Governors established
- CAC expands its audience and programming to include men
- First CAC community event held, in Orange County, CA
- Online career coaching program launched
- Online Collective Diary project launched
- Educational Series for Healthcare Professionals webinar series launched
- First of many CAC programs receives official accreditation for healthcare professionals
- Inaugural National Conference on Work & Cancer held, in New York City
- National Conference Scholarship Program launched; 33 recipients attended the event
- In-Service Training for Healthcare Professionals program launched
- Inaugural “CEW & QVC Present Beauty with Benefits” broadcast aired
- Resume Review Service launched
- Job Search Toolkit published, in English
- Regional Conference program launched, with the first Midwest Conference on Work & Cancer, in Chicago
- Underserved Regions Initiative launched, with initial workshops presented in Alabama, Alaska and Hawaii
- CAC’s Executive Director, Rebecca Nellis, participated in a briefing on Capitol Hill, hosted by ThinkWellPoint and the Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease
- Cancer and Careers launched its “Be the Boss Over Cancer” tagline
- First West Coast Conference on Work & Cancer held, in Los Angeles
- Balancing Work & Cancer Webinar Series launched
- Professional Development Micro-Grants program launched
- CAC, in collaboration with Anthem, Pfizer Oncology, and the U.S. Business Leadership Network, launched Workplace Transitions for People Touched by Cancer, an eToolkit for managers supporting employees with cancer
- Inaugural Job-Search Intensive workshop held, in New York City
- Regional Conference Scholarship program launched, for both the Midwest and West Coast Conferences; a combined total of 29 recipients attended
- Executive Director Rebecca Nellis presented at South by Southwest Conference, in Austin, TX
- CAC’s Founder, Carlotta Jacobson, honored by Susan G. Komen Greater NYC with the John Mac Carter Award
- Returning to Work: A Toolkit for Cancer Patients & Survivors, geared toward residents of Europe, published in English
- CAC conducts its eighth survey in conjunction with the Harris Poll
- Annual Regional and National Conferences on Work & Cancer held virtually for the first time
- Financial Assistance Grants program launched
CEW, Inc., is a New York–based nonprofit trade organization of more than 10,000 executives in the beauty, cosmetics, fragrance and related industries.
Want to tell someone you know about Cancer and Careers? Download one-sheet