Balancing Work & Cancer Webinar: Self-Care: Practical Approaches at Work and Beyond
Between doctor appointments, treatment schedule and work, we often neglect to take time for ourselves. Self-care continues to be an important aspect of emotional and physical health, which translates into productivity and success in the workplace. This session will:
- Help you prioritize self-care while managing a busy schedule
- Understand the benefits of self-care on a personal and professional level
- Provide suggestions for self-care both during and outside of the workplace.
Date & Time
Wednesday, July 12, 2023 — 1:00 PM ET/10:00 AM PT
This is the seventh of 12 sessions in our Balancing Work & Cancer Webinar series. Click here to learn more about the other sessions and register!
All sessions are FREE and open to cancer patients, survivors, healthcare professionals and caregivers.
Wade Iwata, LICSW, OSW-C, Social Worker, Neuro-oncology, Seattle Children's Hospital
Wade Iwata is currently the neuro-oncology social worker at Seattle Children’s Hospital. He has spent his entire career working in oncology, focusing the majority of his work on supporting pediatric and AYA patients and their families. Wade has worked with all cancer diagnoses and has partnered in the past with a variety of different organization to provide support and connection within the cancer community. Wade received his bachelor’s degree in human development from Eckerd College, in St. Petersburg, FL, and his master’s in social work from New York University. Wade received the Association of Pediatric Oncology Social Workers Outstanding Leadership/Social Worker of the Year award in 2020.
To request accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
1:00 PM – 1:05 PM ET: Welcome, Speaker Introduction
1:05 PM – 1:50 PM ET: Overview of self-care, importance at work, and how to balance self-care with work and other responsibilities
1:50 PM – 2:00 PM ET: Questions
- Attendees will be able to assist cancer patients/survivors in defining what effective self-care means to them.
- Attendees will be able to identify barriers to self-care specific to cancer patients/survivors working during/after treatment.
- Attendees will be able to identify types of self-care and strategies for supporting patients in implementing self-care practices at work and at home.
One (1) continuing education credit will be provided free of charge to eligible oncology nurses, social workers, and HR professionals upon approval from the agencies listed below.
- This program is approved by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work (Approval #0072) for 1 continuing education hour.
- Applications to provide continuing educations for social workers outside of New York State will be submitted in the weeks leading up to the webinar.
- Cancer and Careers is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Provider approved by the State of California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 16673, for 1 continuing education credit per session.
- Cancer and Careers is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. This program is valid for 1 PDC per session for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
Requirements to Receive Credits
CEW Foundation (aka Cancer and Careers) maintains responsibility for programs. Healthcare professionals of all disciplines should contact their regulatory board(s) to determine course approval for their specific license(s) and/or certification(s). Please note that regulatory boards may not accept duplicate contact hours (i.e., CEs awarded for webinar sessions with similar titles offered in this or prior calendar years) as valid for license and/or certification renewal.
If you plan on requesting continuing education credits for a webinar series, you MUST complete all of the following steps:
- Register for each live webinar presentation for which you plan on requesting a CE.
- Prior to the session, you will receive an email with phone and web log-in information.
- You must attend the live presentation of the webinar Please note that participants who "listen-in" on another participant's line will not be eligible for credit.
- An email with links to a post-session test and an evaluation form will be sent within 48 hours of the webinar. If you do not receive this email with 2 business days of the webinar, please email email@example.com
- Both the post-session test and evaluation form must be completed and submitted within two weeks of the date that the webinar was held. For example, if a webinar is held January 1, these two documents will be due January 15th. The date that these documents are due will be stated during the webinar, and again in the follow-up email that is sent to you.
- You must pass the post-session test with a score of 80% or higher. You will see your score when you submit your post-test. Please press done, regardless of your score. You will be taken to a confirmation page where you will have the opportunity to re-take the test up to two (2) additional times to obtain a score of 80% or higher. Any submissions beyond the first three will not be considered.
- You will be notified via email of your status in qualifying for a CE no later than 30 days after the date of the webinar. For example, for a webinar held January 1, notifications will be sent out no later than February 1.
Those who meet all the requirements above will receive a certificate via email within 30 days of the webinar.
Bibliographies are available to attendees by request. To request them, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, including the titles of the session(s).
Questions or Grievances
If you have any questions about earning continuing education credits, please email email@example.com. For information on our grievance policy, please click here.
Live webinars will be hosted on the Zoom platform. Click here for Zoom’s system requirements for more information.