Balancing Work & Cancer Webinar: Balancing Remote Work & Cancer
The fact that more and more companies are revising their policies on remote work, allowing employees to work from someplace other than a traditional communal office, is welcome news for many people — especially, for some cancer patients and survivors who experience challenges from treatment that make it difficult to endure a long commute, be in a crowded and potentially germ-filled workspace or stay focused in a distracting environment.
Join this webinar for a robust discussion exploring:
- The challenges associated with working remotely either full or part-time
- How to approach your employer to request the opportunity to work remotely
- Techniques to ensure effective communication with your employer and coworkers, when working from home
Date & Time
Wednesday, February 7, 2024 — 1:00 PM ET/ 10:00 AM PT
All sessions are free and open to cancer patients, survivors, healthcare professionals and caregivers. Register for this live and interactive webinar by clicking “Register” below. The webinar will be hosted on the Zoom platform. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with phone and web log-in information. There is no registration deadline.
Sissy Silva, Senior Manager of Programs and Spanish Resources, Cancer and Careers
As Manager of Programs and Spanish Resources, Sissy Silva manages CAC’s Pregunte a los Expertos (Ask the Experts) virtual event series, Resume Review Service and Harris research projects. Fluent in Spanish, she also oversees CAC’s library of English and Spanish publications and supports various other programs, events and initiatives.
Sissy received her BA in psychology from Rutgers University in 2014 and went on to work in the field of mental health research at the New York State Psychiatric Institute, before pursuing her MA in Peace, Conflict, and Development Studies from Universitat Jaume I, in Spain, in 2017. As a master’s candidate, she interned at Safe Passage Project and became actively involved in the labor movement, working for the American Federation of Teachers, in Washington D.C.
To request accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
1:00 PM – 1:05 PM ET: Welcome, Speaker Introduction
1:05 PM – 1:50 PM ET: Overview of considerations for working from home
1:50 PM – 2:00 PM ET: Questions
- Attendees will be able to recognize the challenges individuals face when working remotely after a cancer diagnosis.
- Attendees will be able to give examples of strategies for addressing the challenges that accompany working remotely during/after cancer treatment.
- Attendees will be able to describe strategies for conversations with employers on continuing to work from home and when looking for a new remote position post-cancer diagnosis.
One (1) continuing education credit will be provided free of charge to eligible oncology nurses, social workers, and HR professionals upon approval from the agencies listed below.
- This program is approved by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work (Approval #0072) for 1 continuing education hour.
- Cancer and Careers, #1814, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Cancer and Careers maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 06/10/2022 – 06/10/2023. Social workers completing this course receive one (1) continuing education credit.
- Cancer and Careers is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Provider approved by the State of California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 16673, for 1 continuing education credit per session.
- Cancer and Careers is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. This program is valid for 1 PDC per session for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.SHRM.org.
Requirements to Receive Credits
CEW Foundation (aka Cancer and Careers) maintains responsibility for programs. Healthcare professionals of all disciplines should contact their regulatory board(s) to determine course approval for their specific license(s) and/or certification(s). Please note that regulatory boards may not accept duplicate contact hours (i.e., CEs awarded for webinar sessions with similar titles offered in this or prior calendar years) as valid for license and/or certification renewal.
If you plan on requesting continuing education credits for a webinar series, you MUST complete all of the following steps:
- Register for each live webinar presentation for which you plan on requesting a CE.
- Prior to the session, you will receive an email with phone and web log-in information.
- You must attend the live presentation of the webinar Please note that participants who "listen-in" on another participant's line will not be eligible for credit.
- An email with links to a post-session test and an evaluation form will be sent within 48 hours of the webinar. If you do not receive this email with 2 business days of the webinar, please email email@example.com
- Both the post-session test and evaluation form must be completed and submitted within two weeks of the date that the webinar was held. For example, if a webinar is held January 1, these two documents will be due January 15th. The date that these documents are due will be stated during the webinar, and again in the follow-up email that is sent to you.
- You must pass the post-session test with a score of 80% or higher. You will see your score when you submit your post-test. Please press done, regardless of your score. You will be taken to a confirmation page where you will have the opportunity to re-take the test up to two (2) additional times to obtain a score of 80% or higher. Any submissions beyond the first three will not be considered.
- You will be notified via email of your status in qualifying for a CE no later than 30 days after the date of the webinar. For example, for a webinar held January 1, notifications will be sent out no later than February 1.
Those who meet all the requirements above will receive a certificate via email within 30 days of the webinar.
Bibliographies are available to attendees by request. To request them, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, including the titles of the session(s).
Questions or Grievances
Live webinars will be hosted on the Zoom platform. Click here for Zoom’s system requirements for more information.