Balancing Work & Cancer Webinar: Building Confidence at Work
There can be so many physical, mental and emotional changes during and after cancer treatments, which understandably, may impact body image and self-confidence. For people who are balancing work and cancer, knowing how to manage the feelings that accompany these emotional and physical changes can help reduce on-the-job anxiety, improve performance, and increase the ability to succeed professionally after a diagnosis. In this webinar we will discuss:
- How body image may be impacted by cancer and the effect of body changes at work
- Practical tips and resources for understanding the feelings that may accompany unexpected changes in your body
- Techniques to maintain or increase self-confidence while working or when returning to work
Date & Time
Wednesday, May 3, 2023 — 1:00 PM ET/10:00 AM PT
All sessions are FREE and open to cancer patients, survivors, healthcare professionals and caregivers.
Sage Bolte, PhD, LCSW, OSW-C, CST
Sage Bolte serves as Chief Philanthropy Officer and President of the Inova Health Foundation. She joined Inova 16 years ago as an oncology counselor and most recently served as Executive Director of Life with Cancer and Patient Experience for the Inova Schar Cancer Institute. She is known nationally for her work in sexual health and cancer and is respected as a leader in the field of oncology social work. Dr. Bolte has written or contributed to several peer-reviewed articles and books, including three chapters in the Oxford textbook The Handbook for Oncology Social Work.
Sage received her bachelor’s degree in both psychology and social work at Hope College, in Holland, Michigan, and later continued her studies at the University of Michigan, where she received her master’s degree in social work. She received the American Cancer Society’s Doctoral Training Grant in 2008 and obtained her PhD in social work from The National School of Social Services at the Catholic University of America in 2010 where her dissertation explored the impact of cancer and its treatments on the sexual self of young adult cancer survivors as compared to their healthy peers.
As Chief Philanthropy Officer Dr. Bolte works closely with the board of trustees, staff, volunteers, and donors to achieve Inova’s goals, institutionalize best practices, and
To request accommodations, please email email@example.com
1:00 PM – 1:05 PM ET: Welcome, Speaker Introduction
1:05 PM – 1:50 PM ET: Overview of body confidence, the impact of cancer and how to address these challenges effectively
1:50 PM – 2:00 PM ET: Questions
- Attendees will be able to describe the typical ways body image is impacted by cancer and the effect these changes may have in the workplace.
- Attendees will be able to identify normative vs. non-normative emotional responses to changes in body image due to cancer.
- Attendees will be able to outline practical approaches for cancer patients to maintain and/or increase self-confidence while working or when returning to work.
One (1) continuing education credit will be provided free of charge to eligible oncology nurses, social workers, and HR professionals upon approval from the agencies listed below.
- This program is approved by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work (Approval #0072) for 1 continuing education hour.
- Cancer and Careers, #1814, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Cancer and Careers maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 06/10/2022 – 06/10/2023. Social workers completing this course receive one (1) continuing education credit.
- Cancer and Careers is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Provider approved by the State of California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 16673, for 1 continuing education credit per session.
- Cancer and Careers is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. This program is valid for 1 PDC per session for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
Requirements to Receive Credits
CEW Foundation (aka Cancer and Careers) maintains responsibility for programs. Healthcare professionals of all disciplines should contact their regulatory board(s) to determine course approval for their specific license(s) and/or certification(s). Please note that regulatory boards may not accept duplicate contact hours (i.e., CEs awarded for webinar sessions with similar titles offered in this or prior calendar years) as valid for license and/or certification renewal.
If you plan on requesting continuing education credits for a webinar series, you MUST complete all of the following steps:
- Register for each live webinar presentation for which you plan on requesting a CE.
- Prior to the session, you will receive an email with phone and web log-in information.
- You must attend the live presentation of the webinar Please note that participants who "listen-in" on another participant's line will not be eligible for credit.
- An email with links to a post-session test and an evaluation form will be sent within 48 hours of the webinar. If you do not receive this email with 2 business days of the webinar, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Both the post-session test and evaluation form must be completed and submitted within two weeks of the date that the webinar was held. For example, if a webinar is held January 1, these two documents will be due January 15th. The date that these documents are due will be stated during the webinar, and again in the follow-up email that is sent to you.
- You must pass the post-session test with a score of 80% or higher. You will see your score when you submit your post-test. Please press done, regardless of your score. You will be taken to a confirmation page where you will have the opportunity to re-take the test up to two (2) additional times to obtain a score of 80% or higher. Any submissions beyond the first three will not be considered.
- You will be notified via email of your status in qualifying for a CE no later than 30 days after the date of the webinar. For example, for a webinar held January 1, notifications will be sent out no later than February 1.
Those who meet all the requirements above will receive a certificate via email within 30 days of the webinar.
Bibliographies are available to attendees by request. To request them, please email email@example.com, including the titles of the session(s).
Questions or Grievances
Live webinars will be hosted on the Zoom platform. Click here for Zoom’s system requirements for more information.