The way we live our lives has changed, and will continue to change, in 2020. For patients and survivors looking to get back into the job market, the already daunting experience of looking for work can feel even more overwhelming. While this is an incredibly difficult and uncertain time, it is not without hope. There are still jobs out there and companies looking for new hires.
Just as many companies have had to adapt to the new realities of a post-COVID-19 world, job seekers will have to adapt their job search strategies in order to successfully land the job. A recent article published by the Muse gives an overview of things you need to know about remote hiring right now, exploring the ways in which job seekers can adapt and thrive during their job search. For cancer survivors returning to work, these are the three main takeaways:
1. Everything will be virtual. It is likely that the entire job hiring process will be done virtually. Just like any interview, you should be well-prepared. Make sure you are familiar with the communication platforms being used by the interviewer and that everything is working properly for you. Also, and most importantly, remember that we are all human. Unexpected interruptions, technology glitches, and a host of other issues can happen. These can be great opportunities to showcase in real time how you handle these types of challenges.
2. Communication and Collaboration Skills Are Key. Transitioning from a traditional work environment to a completely virtual one requires a great deal of communication and collaboration for businesses to function effectively. These skills are more important than ever and should be highlighted throughout the interview.
3. Not everything has changed. Don’t forget that, while the medium has changed, this is still an interview. Dress formally, be prepared to answer questions, and be prepared to ask questions.
Looking for work during COVID-19 is no easy feat! For more tips on how to prepare yourself for a successful job search, check out our upcoming webinar on Job Search Strategy During COVID-19 on Tuesday, May 12, presented by Career Coach, Julie Jansen.
Additionally, take advantage of some of Cancer and Careers' virtual offerings as well, including:
- Our online series, Ask the Experts, is an incredible opportunity to engage in a live Q&A with our guest panelists. On Thursday May 14th, Ali Schaffer, LCSW, will discuss the best ways to take care of your mental health. For a full list of CAC’s new virtual programs that address your most pressing work-related questions and issues during this challenging time, click here.
- Our free Resume Review Service is still available if you want to take advantage of this time to reformat your resume to fit the jobs you want!
- Check out our publications available for order and/or download, in particular our Job Search Toolkit, with a section on LinkedIn.