FlexJobs.com hosted a webinar last week called "How to Use Social Media in Your Job Search" featuring Joshua Waldman from CareerEnlightenment.com. Joshua Waldman is the author of “Job Searching with Social Media for Dummies” and is recognized as a top authority in Social Media Career Advancement. He discussed the many ways that job seekers can benefit from using social media, covering topics such as how to clarify your personal brand and avoid looking unprofessional online.
Key tips/facts from the webinar:
- Using social media doubles your chances of getting a job.
- Only 3% of jobs make it to job boards.
- 50% of recruiters who are using social media to find talent have rejected someone based on something they found online.
- Social media is more personal than a job board. Social media is a way to network, which is inherently more personal and leads to better results.
- There are two parts to your online brand: 1) who you are, 2) what they need.
- You need to be consistent in your online brand - the internet is already a low-trust environment.
- Always view your online profiles and communications as though you’re looking at them from the outside.
- “Take it offline” are the most powerful words you can use in an email.
For more information on job search best practices, check out the Looking for Work section of our website.