The coronavirus pandemic has introduced new challenges for both employers and job seekers. While much of the United States continues to practice social distancing, many employers looking to fill open positions are opting for a virtual hiring process. As a result, it's important for job seekers to adapt their job search strategies in order to successfully land the job.
A recent article from CNBC online titled “Coronavirus hiring: How recruiters are selecting and interviewing job candidates during the pandemic,” by Scott Steinberg, explores the many ways recruiters are adapting their hiring processes to facilitate remote exchanges. For patients and survivors looking for work, here are the main three takeaways:
- Get familiarized with tech – Be prepared for a longer and entirely virtual hiring process. This means you will have to familiarize yourself with different kinds of video conferencing platforms, such as Zoom or Google Hangouts, and communication tools, such as text and email.
- Utilize social media – Now more than ever, recruiters are looking to social media networks like LinkedIn, Facebook and even Instagram to connect with potential hires. Utilize these networks during your job search by building an effective profile.
- Be prepared, but ready to adapt – An interview is an interview no matter how it is conducted. Make sure you are dressed for the part, do your research and be prepared with questions, just as you would during a traditional in-person interview. Also, understand that human moments happen and not everything can be perfect.
As you face these new challenges, remember you are not alone! Cancer and Careers has a number of resources and services to help you through your job search. For more tips on how to enhance your job search, check out our upcoming webinar on Networking During Social Distancing on June 25th.
Additionally, take advantage of some of Cancer and Careers' other offerings, including:
- Our free Resume Review Service offers free, personalized feedback on your resume from one of our professional career coach!
- Check out our publications available for order and/or download, in particular our Job Search Toolkit, with a section on LinkedIn.
- Watch our archived webinar on Using Social Media to Tell Your Best Story and Building an Effective LinkedIn Profile.