We hosted our first ever Tweetchat on addressing cancer at work on Tuesday, June 16th 2015! The chat was co-moderated by Flexjobs and 90 participants joined us over the course of the chat and the days leading up to it to discuss the nuances of working during and after treatment. The tweetchat reached almost one million twitter users, educating and building awareness of workplace etiquette and cancer.
We were thrilled to see such a vibrant conversation take place around these issues, and to be joined by survivors, other non-profits, workplace experts and health organizations/companies to discuss them.
Here are some of the questions that we posed to participants:
1. What are the biggest workplace challenges you feel cancer survivors face?
2. What advice do you have for people on how to help a colleague recently diagnosed with cancer?
3. What types of changes have you seen in the work world that might make it easier to balance work & cancer?
4. How did a flexible job help you get through treatment or return to work after cancer or another serious health issue?
5. What do you think are helpful things to say to a co-worker who has been diagnosed with cancer?
Participants shared amazing insight, advice and stories about what they experienced in the workplace after a caner diagnosis. To see the answers just search #CACChat on Twitter and you'll be able to read the great conversation!
Jun 23, 2015
I just found out that someone in one of my meetup groups (someone who is VERY important to me and to the group) has cancer and I want to find out how best to help her, how best to make her experience safe for her.