While there will be many things to communicate in an ongoing way after an employee discloses a diagnosis. To start, it can help to be prepared with a few simple, neutral phrases that you can say to encourage an open and safe dialogue and reassert your position as a pro-active and involved manager.
1. I'm sorry that you’re going through this.
2. If you need to talk, I’m here for you.
3. We’ll figure out what we need to do together.
4. Tell me what we can do to make your workload more manageable.
5. Let’s talk regularly to see how you’re doing.