KICKING CANCER!Save as Favorite
- I was Diagnosed with:
- Cervical Cancer
- Date of Diagnosis:
- December 18, 2003
- Employment Status:
- Unemployed at time of diagnosis
- Type and Description of Treatments:
- I was diagnosed with Stage 3B cervical cancer, & given a 50% chance of survival. My tumor was in the wall between the cervix & vagina. Wasn't found til it broke out. I had massive external radiation, 2 internal radiation & 4 low-dose chemo treatments. I am now disabled! I have alot of physical damage to my body.
- How do you feel today?
Today I am doing as good as can be expected. My biggest problem is nerve damage in both legs. After my treatments, I walked with a cane for 4.5 years. NO MORE! I have good days & bad days. I just take it one day at a time!
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your life?
Due to some of my health issues, I cannot work! I hate that!
- What is going well for you right now?
The fact that the cancer hasn't come back is amazing! I hope it never does. I can deal with the side effects of radiation, as long as the cancer doesn't come back!
- What is not going well for you right now?
I wish I could go to work. I hate being home every day. It drives me nuts!
- What has been the most challenging thing about having cancer?
The worst thing is the nerve damage to my legs. I can't stand or walk for a long time. It makes it hard to do alot of things.
- When difficulties overwhelm you, where do you go for support?
I think of a saying I found after I was diagnosed. "Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow, Live Today!"
- How have your long-term goals or life goals changed since diagnosis?
I am more health conscious! I eat healthier, try to exercise.
- What is your work arrangement right now? What are your hours?
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your work life?
- What has helped you continue to work the most?
- What advice do you have for others trying to work through treatment?
More power to you! I couldn't work through treatment if I had wanted to. I slept all the time.
- How have you dealt with any side effects of treatment?
As best I can. There isn't anything I can do about the side effects. Some are worse than others.
- If "today's you" could give advice to "day-of-diagnosis you," what would you say?
I would tell myself to look into healthier eating, possible supplements.