My LIFESave as Favorite
- I was Diagnosed with:
- non-hodgkins lymphoma large B cell
- Date of Diagnosis:
- October 5, 2012
- Employment Status:
- R.N. on short term disability
- Type and Description of Treatments:
- R-CHOP evey 3 weeks x 6 treatments completed. Went for second opinion , doctor want me to undergo 3 more treatments HYPER CVAD ( part B) hospitalized for at least 3 days every 3 weeks . So that means another 9 weeks out of work, at least.
- How do you feel today?
I am feeling ok. Some aches and pains but nothing to stop me in my tracks like before. My biggest concern is the extra treatments - first the toxicity of the drugs, transfusions, new PICC line inserted. I had a clean PET scan on 1/2/2013 after 4 treatments. These new treatments are a precaution because I had aggressive bone involvement (sternum) and even contemplated an alternative doctor.
My job in a large hospital is questionable now. I have been out on disability for 5 months now. I have worked for this institution for 37 years. I've only taken 2 sick days a year till now. Never on disability for over 31 years till now.
I love my job and my coworkers and now I am faced with further treatment or my job, my income. I NEED to work, I don't have the means to stay home. I believe GOD will show me the way. Sorry to say, if I had to do my career over, I would not go into the medical profession. They have no sympathy for long term employees diagnosed with cancer .
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your life?
- What is going well for you right now?
I am feeling good, I have a loving, supportive husband. 2 beautiful daughters and a granddaughter.
- What is not going well for you right now?
The thought of losing my job after 37 years at one hospital.
- What has been the most challenging thing about having cancer?
My life-style change.
- When difficulties overwhelm you, where do you go for support?
The thought of being unemployed. I go to my GOD.
- How have your long-term goals or life goals changed since diagnosis?
Don't know when I will be able to return to work.
- What is your work arrangement right now? What are your hours?
Short term disability.
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your work life?
Not working since 10/8/2012.
- How have you dealt with any side effects of treatment?
I have had little side effects, just loosing my hair.
- If "today's you" could give advice to "day-of-diagnosis you," what would you say?
Find a doctor that you trust and can talk to. One who will give you time and answer your questions, return phone calls.