I feel so blessed knowing that everything is wo...Save as Favorite
- I was Diagnosed with:
- Breast Cancer
- Date of Diagnosis:
- June 24, 2008
- Employment Status:
- Type and Description of Treatments:
- Too early to tell. I'm having mastectomy this week, SLN from last week shows negative results! Lab results from surgery will determine treatment.
- How do you feel today?
I feel so blessed knowing that everything is working out for me. Since my diagnosis (less than 2 mos. ago) I have been able to see a breast surgeon (2 since I had a second opinion), a radiation oncologist, a breast surgeon, nurses from each surgeon's office within weeks apart. My support system has been great - I've talked to women who have had almost the same situation as mine and also those that have totally different situations. I also read a lot on breast cancer.
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your life?
I've learned to let the little things go (well, I'm still learning). That not everything is an emergency. That the situation I'm in now is only temporary and will only get better.
- What is going well for you right now?
My family support system, my church family has run prayer marathons for my situation, the women who have undergone the same thing are constantly calling me asking how I'm doing. God is taking control of this whole situation and it feels good that I just have to go with the motions where He sends me!
- What is not going well for you right now?
Not being able to take care of my baby who is just learning to walk.
- What has been the most challenging thing about having cancer?
Not being able to decide which doctor to select since they're all excellent where I'm going!
- When difficulties overwhelm you, where do you go for support?
Each day is a struggle with what is about to happen. I pray each time I feel doubt, uneasiness, fear.
- How have your long-term goals or life goals changed since diagnosis?
None, I've learned no matter how much I plan, it can all change once God turns the switch on a situation.
- What is your work arrangement right now? What are your hours?
FMLA, then Short Term disability so I can get 60% pay when that happens. Monday- Friday 7:30-4:00.
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your work life?
Nothing, work has partly helped me preoccupy my mind about things..
- What has helped you continue to work the most?
My family (husband and child).
- What advice do you have for others trying to work through treatment?
I have none, since I have not had any yet.
- How have you dealt with any side effects of treatment?
Same as above.
- If "today's you" could give advice to "day-of-diagnosis you," what would you say?
Give it all up to Him.