As long as I WORK I don't worry too much. I am ...Save as Favorite
- I was Diagnosed with:
- ductal breast cancer first time second time hr2 positive breast cancer
- Date of Diagnosis:
- October 5, 2001
- Employment Status:
- cna at a local hospital
- Type and Description of Treatments:
- First time had a lumpectomy and radiation. Second time double mastectomy and breast reconstruction with implants.
- How do you feel today?
As long as I WORK I don't worry too much. I am taking herceptin every 3 weeks, my last dose will be in December. I started this December 2008. Such an expensive drug. I have a great doctor which I trust.
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your life?
I started back to church which is excellent.
- What is going well for you right now?
I have a job where a lot don't.
- What is not going well for you right now?
The pain under the right breast, probably from the implant.
- What has been the most challenging thing about having cancer?
Having the disease twice. I wish people would send me money so I could pay the doctor more.
- When difficulties overwhelm you, where do you go for support?
I pray and go to church.
- How have your long-term goals or life goals changed since diagnosis?
I plan to raise AKC German shepherd pups. I have a female already.
- What is your work arrangement right now? What are your hours?
I work 12 hour days three times a week.
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your work life?
- What has helped you continue to work the most?
I need my blue cross blue shield.
- What advice do you have for others trying to work through treatment?
I stayed home for 7 months so my advice is to stay home if you can afford to till chemo is over.
- How have you dealt with any side effects of treatment?
I try to think this will be over soon.
- If "today's you" could give advice to "day-of-diagnosis you," what would you say?
I would say to day of diagnosis I got rid of you ugly breasts, you were trying to kill me. I have the upper hand here and my doctor and I will destroy you. Every woman is strong we don't wait till we have to fight for our lives.