I am feeling like I was reborn again. A bit so...Save as Favorite
- I was Diagnosed with:
- BREAST CANCER STAGE II
- Date of Diagnosis:
- April 9, 2009
- Employment Status:
- Type and Description of Treatments:
- 8 ROUNDS OF CHEMO EVERY 2 WEEKS + RADIATIONS 4 ROUNDS OF A/C 4 ROUNDS OF TAXOL DATE FOR CHEMO: 06/02/09 - 09/08/09
- How do you feel today?
I am feeling like I was reborn again. A bit sore from my bilateral mastectomy and ovaries surgery. I couldn't be happier after receiving a phone call from my surgeon on Thursday, 11/19 that the pathology reports came back normal as expected. I was very nervous prior to surgery.
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your life?
I am more patient with my kids and family with less outbursts. I am trying to slow down to enjoy life and smell the roses. I am trying to take better care of myself and let go of things that are not so important to me. Spending quality time with my family and kids.
- What is going well for you right now?
Everything, health, family relationships, support from friends, most of all the unconditional love of my husband, kids and my parents.
- What is not going well for you right now?
Nothing. Just can't wait to go back to work after I recover.
- What has been the most challenging thing about having cancer?
When I was first diagnosed with cancer, I thought it meant that I was going to die. I was not prepared to say goodbye to my family and how my children would be cared for. I had to pull my strength to get through the toughest time and without the help and support from my parents and family I would not be here today.
- When difficulties overwhelm you, where do you go for support?
I go to my husband and talk it out with him. It feels good that you have someone who you can lean on.
- How have your long-term goals or life goals changed since diagnosis?
My long term goals are to stay on top of my health and try to live and eat a better healthier lifestyle with less stress.
- What is your work arrangement right now? What are your hours?
I have not returned to work since I was diagnosed. Job is too stressful and the side effects were overwhelming. I will return once I recover from my surgeries.
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your work life?
- What advice do you have for others trying to work through treatment?
Try to prepare your body and mind for the treatment and not listen to others about the side effects that they experience, instead focus on yourself. Everybody tolerates the treatment differently.
The mind is a powerful thing. Stay positive and focused and you can overcome anything.
- How have you dealt with any side effects of treatment?
Listen to your doctors and your body. Exercise, eat healthy, juice and rest and sleep a lot.
- If "today's you" could give advice to "day-of-diagnosis you," what would you say?
Everything will be o.k.. Take the diagnosis and deal with it by finding the best doctors and hospital that specialize in your cancer for treatment. Knowing that you are in the best hospital's care you will make it through and pray a lot.