20 Pain-free Networking IdeasSave as Favorite
People often associate networking with feelings of anxiety and awkwardness. However, networking doesn't have to be so intimidating! Instead, networking should be thought of as an opportunity to build a supportive community with people whom you share interests.
Idealist recently posted a list of 20 ways to network that don’t feel like networking. Here are a few suggestions from this list (click on the link for the full list):
- Go on an informational interview.
- Ask for an introduction from your family and friends.
- Attend a conference or workshop related to your career or interests.
- Join a club: Check out Meetup to see a list of clubs in your area, or start a new one!
- Volunteer with an organization that is meaningful to you to meet people who share your passion.
- Reach out to your alumni group.
Also, it's important to remember that networking should be a long-term, mutual relationship in order to truly grow. To nurture the connections that you have already made try hosting a party, sharing a resource, or making a recommendation on LinkedIn.