Today I feel pretty good. I'm 26 and have been ...Save as Favorite
- I was Diagnosed with:
- Ovarian Cancer
- Date of Diagnosis:
- December 16, 2008
- Employment Status:
- Type and Description of Treatments:
- I had a full hysterectumy. I didn't qualify for chemo or radiation because I was in the 1st stage. I had 2 tumors, both the size of baby heads. One in my lower right side, close to my pelvis and the other on my left side closer to my rib cage.
- How do you feel today?
Today I feel pretty good. I'm 26 and have been going thru menopause for 2 years now. I still get hot flashes and have a very hard time sleeping.
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your life?
My whole outlook on life has changed. I don't take any day for granted.
- What is going well for you right now?
Ummmm, I'm still alive!! I have a job and I have a roof over my head!!
- What is not going well for you right now?
No benefits from my job so I can't go see the dr for my regular check ups. It's been almost a year since I've seen a dr and I worry anytime I get a stomach ache! Since my body has gone thru this extreme change at such a young age, I feel like I'm way older then I really am. My teeth are becoming brittle, my bones and joints ache alot. And my sex drive doesn't exist anymore!! I hate it.
- What has been the most challenging thing about having cancer?
Getting over the fact that I can't be a birth mother!!!
- When difficulties overwhelm you, where do you go for support?
My best friend!!!! She didn't leave my side in the hospital!!! She has been so supportive!! She was the only one who could make me laugh while I was going thru all of this!!!
- How have your long-term goals or life goals changed since diagnosis?
They haven't really! I still plan on having a child thru adoption sometime!
- What is your work arrangement right now? What are your hours?
9pm-6am in a warehouse! I feel tired all the time!! Sleeping during the day just isn't working for me right now!!
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your work life?
I'm not as strong physically anymore! Warehouse work can be physically demanding at times and sometimes it wears me out! But i gotta pay the bills!!!
- What has helped you continue to work the most?
My motivation is the pile of bills that are stacking up!
- What advice do you have for others trying to work through treatment?
You're not alone!! Be strong and keep your head up!!! Keep fighting!!!
- If "today's you" could give advice to "day-of-diagnosis you," what would you say?
Research research research!!! There is so much that I still don't understand!