I feel good. Just finished breast reconstructi...Save as Favorite
- I was Diagnosed with:
- Breast Cancer
- Date of Diagnosis:
- April 20, 2007
- Employment Status:
- Type and Description of Treatments:
- Mastectomy followed by radiation. Now on Tamoxifen for 5 years.
- How do you feel today?
I feel good. Just finished breast reconstruction. I have a bit of a problem with some pain in the reconstructed breast but overall feel ok.
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your life?
I have reunited with my ex husband. We have been close for awhile now but my cancer brought him closer. We have been back together for 2 years now and are now talking about remarriage
- What is going well for you right now?
My son is graduating from high school so I'm very proud. I feel confident I'll see his college graduation as well and that cancer will not return and I will enjoy a long life.
- What is not going well for you right now?
My job. My job is auto industry related and I know layoffs are coming. I have a feeling they will lay me off due to the cost I have in medical expenses.
- What has been the most challenging thing about having cancer?
Trying to convince friends and family I really am alright. I keep in touch with family and friends during my treatment. Made sure I had lunch dates with the girls as I felt well enough to do.I could always see the worry in their eyes no matter how happy a face I put on.
- When difficulties overwhelm you, where do you go for support?
My ex-husband always listens to me and advises me when things just seem to be going wrong.
- How have your long-term goals or life goals changed since diagnosis?
I would like to retire earlier. Have more time to enjoy life.
- What is your work arrangement right now? What are your hours?
I work 40 hrs per week. 700-330
- Since the diagnosis, what has changed in your work life?
My first day back after my treatment my boss booted me from her department. I must say I was shocked. She gave me flowers and 2 hrs later I was told go work else where. It turns out the new department has been a better fit for me. So it was a good move for me but a thoughtless action by my employer.
- What has helped you continue to work the most?
Just the need to pay the bills. I have medical expenses that I must pay and a child entering college. If I did not need to I would not work.
- What advice do you have for others trying to work through treatment?
Keep you head up and keep positive people around you. Telling coworkers is a personal decision. I think it depends on your environment and how close you feel to your coworkers. If your coworkers are really your friends, they can be your strongest support.
- How have you dealt with any side effects of treatment?
Getting my rest and eating right. It is not easy but I have to take time for me.
- If "today's you" could give advice to "day-of-diagnosis you," what would you say?
It will be alright. Fear can lead to defeat. Do not let it overcome you.